Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Getting Ready for Reno!

It’s time to quit procrastinating and get moving.  We leave to go back to work in Reno Feb 10 and I still have to get my taxes to the accountant.  I need to decide what to pack….no easy task when you have to pack for a 6 months stay.  We need winter and summer clothes, black shoes and slacks for work (USBC furnishes the shirts and vests so that is one thing I don’t need).  We have to get all of our doc tor appointments, tests, prescriptions etc…a major undertaking  at our age.  Hurray for the golden years!  We have doctors for all of our varied parts (at least we haven’t reached the Depends stage yet…just look what we have to look forward to in the future!).

Wow! If that last bit sounds like a pity party, it is not, really.  We are in great shape for the shape we are in.

We look forward to getting back to work and seeing all of our coworkers.  There is a group of us that travel every year to work at the USBC Open Championships Bowling Tournament.  We come from all over the country, Arkansas, New York, Louisiana, Florida, Montana, New Mexico, Tennessee, Texas and West Virginia just to mention a few.  One thing we can always count on when we get there are lots of hugs….one of my favorite things.

We also have to pack up the computer, lap top, camera and various chargers and connecting cables, at least 6 pairs of reading glasses (I leave them all over the house!) and our hearing aids.  If I forget the hearing aids, I will have to turn around and go back home.  My hearing loss started when I was still in grade school and has gotten progressively worse over the years so without the hearings aids I will have to read lips. 

Also a priority on the list, cell phones.  I am really not much for talking on the phone (back to the hearing problem) but I will never again travel without one.  One year when we were traveling across the country to get to work our car broke down out in the middle of nowhere.  It was January and freezing cold and dark.  We sat there for what seemed like hours before a truck stopped.  The driver called a tow truck on his cell phone.  He stayed with us and invited us to share his nice warm truck cab until the tow truck got there.  Bless him!

I ordered a new cell phone from our business website and it arrived yesterday.  I really like it but it has a lot of bells and whistles.  Does anyone have a teenager they can loan me to show me how this thing works?  However, this purchase was a win/win situation.  I got a good discount and since I bought from my hubby’s business, he gets a commission every month.  To check this out, go to http://www.fhtmus.com/homerdavis  and click on the icon for the Wireless Shop.  You will find a great selection there.

The picture at the top of the post is from 2001 when USBC (United States Bowling Congress) was still ABC (American Bowling Congress).  How I hated those uniforms that year!

No comments: