Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Musings of a lazy cook!

If you were to visit my kitchen, you would find a six foot high bookcase crammed full of cook books.  I love cook books!  If you asked me why, I couldn’t begin to explain it since I am at best an indifferent cook.  I have no patience with recipes that take hours of preparation and all kinds of exotic ingredients, I just like to read about them. (I also admire all those photos that look so good…so how come it never looks like that when I fix it?)  My favorite recipes are the kind that are quick and easy and taste good.  I do occasionally dig into those cook books and try something different, but the results are usually disastrous.

 I also have, thanks to my friend Bill, and endless supply of online cook books.  It will probably take me years to get through them all.  I also like getting recipes from my friends.  I have one I got from my friend, Martha, that fits all of my criteria for a great recipe…it is quick, easy and it tastes good.  This a great recipe for those days when you have been working all day, you are really tired of take out, and you want to impress your family with some home cooking.

Martha’s “I’m too tired to cook”  Baked Chicken Breasts

Place boneless chicken breasts in a large shallow baking dish (how many depends on the size of your family.  I fix 6 because they are great leftovers.)

Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
Cover with canned diced tomatoes.  (These come in a variety of seasonings…my personal favorite is mild zesty green chiles)  Continue baking for another 30 minutes.
Top with grated cheese and put it back in the oven until the cheese is nicely melted.

Enjoy!

No comments: